The long-awaited Chiapas trip is finally upon us! We leave from Casa Central tomorrow at 5am, for an 8-9 hour drive to Palenque. Although the traveling won't exactly be fun, we're all pretty excited to go on this trip. In past groups it has been the best excursion by far!
Chiapas is the southern most state of Mexico. It's pretty high up though, in the mountain area. Within a day we'll be rising about 9,000 feet in altitude, from sea level to the mountains. We're really hoping nobody gets altitude sickness!
We're all looking forward to beautiful sites, cooler weather, and different culture that's found in Chiapas. Chiapas is a very indigenous state, with a large Maya population. It's also home to the Zapatista movement, which was a strong movement in the 1990s and early 2000s. Recently the Zapatistas haven't been credited with much activity, but they're still a strong organization- one which fights against the Mexican government for the rights of indigenous people. Don't worry- I'm not in any danger! We're actually going into a Zapatista community, so it's safe to be there.
Other than the Zapatistas, we have the chance to see some beautiful waterfalls and other scenery. I'm not 100% sure what to expect, but I'm excited! Adios for 5 days! I'll be away from the computer, so don't look for updates for awhile.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment