Monday, February 2, 2009

A Busy Sunday

On Sunday, Sara and I wanted to go to Merida en Domingo. I went last week, but there's so much to see and do that I really wanted to go again. We got up early, at least for our groups standard, and we were out of the house by 9am. We made it downtown without any scary bus experiences. We actually got on one of the van type buses, which are common. They're usually full so I think we're the first in our group to go on them. We discovered it was a little hard to hold on...

Once downtown we headed to the Plaza Grande to check out the market. It was pretty much the same as last week. Then we headed a few blocks over to an authentic Mexican market. It's amazing how much difference a few blocks can make. In the Plaza Grande, we were in a touristy area, but at the other market, we were the only Americans in sight. I felt a little conspicuous, but I loved seeing all the stuff available in the market. Food, clothes, meat, candles, shoes, toys, jewelry, anything you could imagine! And we didn't even look around the whole market!

By the time we left, it was about 10am, and we were hungry. We decided to eat at a restuarant around the Plaza Grande. This restaurant has a second floor with balconies that overlook the square. We sat in one of those, and it was amazing. I could see so many people and so much activity. It was fun to sit and people-watch. Until the people started watching us back! :)

That evening, Erin and I decided to go to Church with Myra and her house mother. We walked over to the Church of Itzimna, which is in the next neighborhood over, basically a few blocks away. It was a Catholic Church, as is common in Mexico. I had never been to a Catholic Church before, so it was interesting. We didn't know what to say half the time, and the congregation didn't seem to follow the program very well, but overall I enjoyed the service, what I could understand at least! I think next week we're going to check out a Methodist church which has a college aged youth group.

That evening I was stuck doing homework. No fun at all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment