I've noticed that news of the Mexican drug cartels are seeping into the US media. Mexico is basically in a state of war against the drug cartels: a war that Mexico is going to lose unless it gets some help.
Northern Mexico is a violent area, and people are being killed everyday, especially policemen. Government officials who stand up against the drug cartel leaders are at extremely high risk, and many are eventually kidnapped and killed.
I'm only mentioning this because I want everyone to know that the Yucatan is SAFE! The drug violence is mainly concentrated on the US border, and I'm about as far away from the US as I can be in Mexico. The Yucatan, for the time being, is mainly unaffected from the violence. Furthermore, Mérida is probably the safest place in the Yucatan. So nobody needs to worry about my safety, or whether the violence is anywhere close to me.
But pay attention to the coverage of the drug war! It's on the US's doorstep, and we should be concerned about it.
Friday, February 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment