Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Gran Plaza Mall and Noche Mexicana

This weekend has been pretty busy for me. I didn't have much that I had to do, so that left me with a lot of time to do whatever I wanted! I definitely took advantage of that.

After our trip to the Zoo on Friday, I had a pretty boring afternoon and evening. A few of us girls stayed in and talking and played card games. The others went out until the wee hours of the morning. Since I went to bed fairly early on Friday, I got up and went to Pilates class at 9am with Sara. It was a tough class, but I survived.

During the siesta time, Sara, Erin, and I went to the Gran Plaza Mall. It was an interesting bus ride! We managed to get on a really nice, air conditioned, curtained bus. However, it was jammed packed full, so we had to stand up, which is tough when you're in Mexico. None of us had ever been to this Mall, and we very nearly missed it. We finally made it there safe and sound, and our first mission was to buy lunch. We ended up just getting pizza at the food court. Yes, I know, it's not very cultural, but I was craving pizza. We then shopped around for a while and eventually caught another bus back.

That evening, Erin and I were hoping to see more cultural stuff. We took a bus downtown (yet another creepy bus experience- the worst yet). I was about 9pm when we got on a bus, and it was just a few people, us, and the bus driver. When everyone else on the bus got off, Erin leaned over to me and said, "This is the start to a horror movie!" I was feeling the same thing. We drove on for awhile and then a lady and her 3 kids got on. We were relieved. Then the driver took us to a very creepy part of downtown and let us off. He kept asking us when we wanted to get off, and we just wanted downtown, at the place where we always get off. It's at the end of the line. Well, that bus didn't go that way. We got off several blocks south of the Plaza Grande, in a not-so-nice looking area. Erin and I thought the bus driver just wanted us off, for some reason. Luckily I had my map and we made it to some non-creepy areas, but I don't really want to experience that again!

We walked up to the start of the Paseo de Montejo, where Noche Mexicana is. They had lots of vendors and live music. We stayed for awhile until some dude got up and started singing mushy-love sounding songs. Then we walked until we found a bus back. That trip was pretty uneventful, except that it took us forever to find a bus!

No comments:

Post a Comment