Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Trip Planning

This weekend is our first weekend of free travel, and I've been busy planning a nice little trip. Four of us are planning on going to Campeche this weekend. Campeche is the capital city of the state of Campeche, which is the state next to us. We'll be taking a 2 1/2 hour bus ride on a nice first class bus (gotta love those cheap bus tickets!). And I'll be staying in my first hostel- the Monkey Hostel on the main square in Campeche. Should be interesting!

Campeche is an old colonial city that has been kept up fairly well. It's a city on the coast of the Gulf, and it was also the site of pirate attacks back when pirates ruled the Caribbean! I'm looking forward to finding some piratey souviners for people back home. We're also hoping to take a ride on an old pirate ship, but right now we're not sure of the costs of doing that. At any rate, our trip should be very interesting. The only negative part is that there's no beach to hang out on. Oh well...I'll be seeing enough beaches while I'm down here!

On another note: it's started to get hot and pretty humid here in the past few days. Since we've been here, we've been in a cold spell, which is highly unusual in Mérida. But (kind of sadly) the cold spell is over, and the sticky season has begun. Last night I slept in my hammock all night long, for the first time. It's been too cold to sleep in it a night until now. And even though I had a little bit of trouble getting comfortable, I slept well. It's a good thing that I can sleep in a hammock because in 2 weeks we're going to a village, and we have no other options. We'll have to sleep in a hammock! Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment