Today was a lazy day for everyone since nobody has classes on Friday. That's mainly to leave time for field trips, but since we're staying in Merida this weekend, it meant another day off.
So, in order to entertain ourselves, 5 of us took a trip to the zoo. Since it's free, it makes a nice little outing. For being a free zoo, it was pretty nice. The barriers between me and the animals were a little lacking at times (I could touch a flamigo if I wanted. I don't think flamingos normally attack people, but if they thought I was a shrimp, I would've been a goner!). The one cage that was strongly fortified was with some larger monkeys. Not gorillas or anything, just larger monkeys. The lions and tigers were only behind chain link fences. I'm sure glad they didn't get too hungry!
Overall, the zoo was pretty neat. As we were walking though the bird cage, dark clouds began to gather. So we decided we should leave. I didn't get to ride the train, but the bus ride back to the Casa Central certainly made up for it.
Our bus drivers today were crazy! The first one pulled over at a cell phone repair shop (I think... the sign was in Spanish) and hopped off the bus to do his errand! And the second bus driver drove this rickety old bus that was really noisy. He was a scary driver! When we'd hit a stop light, he would pull out his newspaper and started reading. We also had an inspector get on that bus. The inspectors just check to make sure the driver is handing out the tickets. If the tickets aren't given out, then the bus driver is likely pocketing some money, which is a big no no. I think I've been on a bus 4 times with an inspector, but they haven't ever asked to see our tickets. So I wonder how well they're inspecting...
I don't believe it has rained yet, but the clouds have been dark all afternoon and the wind has been horrible! And it got cold. How can I survive 75 degrees?!? :)
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Guess that's what you get when it was nearly 65 degrees here today. :)
ReplyDeleteDang! That's warm...for Iowa. Winter for Merida!
ReplyDelete