Yesterday was our first chance to see the town, or rather city of Merida. We started our orientation with an hour or so long walk around the neighborhood. The Central House is in a pretty busy neighborhood. The house is on a corner, and one of the streets is the Circuito Colonias, which is a six lane street. There is a lot of traffic at all hours of the day and night, but I'm quickly getting used to it. I didn't wake up at all last night, which is pretty much a miracle since I wake up all the time in my quiet home in Iowa!
The neighborhood is beautiful and diverse, at least economically. On our walk, we saw huge mansions with private courtyards and ducks (strange!). On the other hand, we also saw teeny tiny run down houses and mansions sitting in ruin. Also, Mexico has no zoning laws, so a lot of businesses are popping up between houses. Right near the house is a Starbucks (!!!), an Oxxo (convenience store), and a Chapur (like Yonkers). Unfortunately the Oxxo is on the other side of the Circuito Colonias, so crossing the road to get there is an adventure!
We live a few blocks down from the Paseo Montejo, which is another main street in Merida. I believe it goes all the way into the downtown. Last night we ate at a restaurant on the crossroad of the Circuito Colonias and the Paseo Montejo. The crossing becomes a roudabout with a beautiful fountain in the middle.
Towards the end of our walk, I showed my true talents and fell down, becoming the first injury on the trip (is anyone surprised?) I have 2 skinned knees to show for it, but all is ok. I have plenty of bandaids!!
The food here in the Central House is amazing! I don't know if I can ever go back to the Central Market. Breakfast was French toast and about 7-8 different kinds of fruit. Lunch consisted of BBQ chicken, salad, and carrots with some sort of creamy cheese sauce on it. It may sound gross, but it was absolutely delicious! Our dinner was ham and cheese quesadilla things with salad and cookies. In Mexico, lunch is considered the large meal of the day, and we must speak Spanish at the table during lunch. We also get fresh squeezed juices with our meals. Man lemonade is great when it's fresh.
The great thing about Mexico is the siesta. Between 1-3pm, after we eat our dinner, we can do whatever we want during that time: nap, go to Oxxo or MegaMercado, sit in the sun, whatever! It's awesome!!
Well, breakfast is coming soon...it smells yummy!
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment