I'm finally here in Merida, and I still can hardly believe it. The weather is wonderful-for now. It's about 70 out and a little humid, kind of like a nice warm spring day in Iowa. Tomorrow will be a different story- high 80s and high humidity. It will take a while to get used to, but I'm so glad to be here finally!!
Landing in a foreign country at night is amazing. Approaching Merida was beautiful--the maze of lights amid the pitch black darkness was the perfect way to welcome me to the city.
The warmth of Merida hit me as soon as I walked off the plane. All I could think was "Wow! It's hot!" I still can hardly believe that it's January but the windows are wide open and I'm sitting in a t-shirt.
Getting a taxi wasn't too hard because we had some help from Eduardo, a lab assistant who goes to Central in Pella but lives in Merida. I had to laugh in the cab when I heard the radio announcer say KISS FM. American stations can be found down here, even if the music is a little different!
I'm exhausted but exilerated! I'm headed to unpack a bit then hit the hay. I promise I'll write more soon!!
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Congrats on your arrival, Jen! Keep an eye out for that special man. I have high hopes that you'll be getting hooked up while in Mexico! Your parents would be SO proud!
ReplyDelete