Monday, January 26, 2009

Classes

Today was our first day of classes here in Merida. No more vacation time for me! Well, I suppose since my first class isn't until after 10 and I have time for a 2 hour siesta in the middle of my day, I can't say it's like living in Pella. I actually only have classes 3 days a week, so having a four day weekend every weekend is pretty neat.

My 2 morning classes are both in Spanish, so by the time lunch rolled around at 1, I was in the Spanish mode. That was a good thing because we can only speak in Spanish over lunch. During our other meals we may speak English, but lunch is reserved for Spanish. I like it! When I come back to the US, you guys may have to put up with me talking in Spanish over meals! Quiero la mantequilla, por favor!

My afternoon course is Mexico and US relations, and is in English. It's already shaping up to be a great course. Valerie, our program director, is our professor. Everything here is pretty casual for classes, since our largest class is only 8 or so people. Well, except for our dance class.

Yes, I did say dance! Tonight is our first Latin American dance class. It's taught in Spanish, and it will hopefully teach me how to dance. More likely it'll teach me how to fall on my bum in front of a room full of people. :) It should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment