Saturday, March 7, 2009

Back from Tinum

After a long, fun, and slightly dusty weekend, I'm back! I had such an amazing time in Tinum. I stayed in a home with a sweet little old Mayan lady, which was just fun. Seeing how traditional Mayan families live was an unforgettable experience. I'm pretty exhausted from the weekend, so I'll have to post throughout the weekend about my experience.

But I'll describe the village a little bit before I (maybe) take a nap. Tinum is a small village about 1 1/2 hours away from Merida. It is a typical Mexican village. The people there aren't wealthy by any means, and many are owners of Milpas, small farms. This year has been a bad drought year, so the town is struggling.

Despite the harsh economic climate, the people are happy. I saw smiles and heard laughter everywhere. The simplicity of their lives is beautiful. The constrast between Tinum and Merida was astounding, and I can't quite compare Tinum to the US. There's no race to make money and buy new things: people are content with what they have.

I'll post tonight or tomorrow about the house I lived in, and the sweet little lady named Rosita!

No comments:

Post a Comment