Thursday, March 5, 2009

Field Trip Time!

Well, the test is all over with, and stress levels in the house have gone way down! Luckily, the test wasn't quite as hard as we expected, although it wasn't exactly a walk in the woods! I'm glad I studied as much as I did.

This weekend will be an interesting weekend for all of us. We are headed off on another Central sponsored excursion- to a Mayan village of Tinum. This is a typical village in the Yucatan, quite different from the large city of Merida. We're going to be staying in the homes of some of the villagers. Many of them are hammock makers, and this is the village where my beautiful hammock came from. Actually, I'm packing my hammock up to take it with me, since we're required to bring our "bed." Luckily it is supposed to be a little warmer this weekend, so we might not freeze like we did at Kiuic! I'm also taking a nice, warm fleece blanket with me, just to be sure that I'm warm. Who would've thought that I would be downright cold in Mexico?!

We leave this afternoon, and return on Saturday evening. The fun part is that over these three days, we may not actually have the chance to shower! The accomidations in the village are pretty rustic, and some of us won't even have toilets. Oh...I need to remember to pack my TP! It'll be like camping at lake Wapello before the bathhouse opens up for the season...

As part of our trip we're going to Chichen Itza. I'll wait to talk about that until I see it. All I can say is that Chichen gets 8,000 visitors everyday, and every aspect of the site is geared towards tourists. I have mixed feelings about seeing it, simply because it's a tourist trap. And I have to do 3 different assignments while I'm there. I'll write about Chichen and the effect of tourism when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment