Cozumel is the island across from Playa del Carmen. We had to ride a ferry to get there, which was a new experience for me. Unfortunately, the water was rough, and I didn't feel too good the whole way there. Luckily the ferry had a live band on board, which helped to distract me. It took 45 mins or so to get to the City of Cozumel, and I was glad to get off the boat. I think all of us were.
We first found our hostel in Cozumel. We reserved beds at a hostel that had a 26 bed mixed dorm. I was a little nervous that it would be loud and dirty, but it was a really nice place to stay! I was impressed. And it was only 2 1/2 blocks from the pier and main square, so it was a great location. You couldn't find anything better for $12 USD.
The first afternoon we were in Cozumel, we decided to go snorkeling. We signed up for a 3 site tour in a glass bottom boat. We got it for just $300 MN, or about $20 USD. That's a pretty good deal! I wasn't impressed with the snorkeling. The reef was really far down in the water, and it wasn't very pretty. But we got to feed the fish, and they swarmed around us, which was neat. By the end of the tour I was feeling a little seasick, since the water was still rough.
The second day we decided to go on an adventure! :) Alright, we just got a taxi and headed out of town to the Chankanaab Park, which is had some "ruins", a beach, snorkeling, a lagoon with fishies, and a botanical garden. It was also the place where people could pay to swim with dolphins. I rented snorkeling gear and spent a few hours in the water. It was much better than the glass bottom boat tour. Since I didn't have to wear a life jacket, I could dive down and look at things close up. I loved that, even if I did drink a little salt water. We stayed there until it closed at 5pm. It was a great day!
Cozumel is a peaceful town. It's still really touristy, but not as bad as Playa del Carmen. I enjoyed it a lot, and it was a great end to our break.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment