Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Bullfight and Merida en Domingo

This weekend has been interesting, mainly because we've been able to do anything we wanted. Freedom in Merida! :) It's been nice to have a very relaxed schedule and just hang out and wander around the city.

Saturday afternoon, nearly all of us went to a bullfight. Big mistake! As much as I love to learn about and see Mexican culture, I doubt I'll ever appreciate a bullfight. We had to walk for about 40 minutes to get there, which wore me out! We had to arrive early to get tickets because the fights are few and far between, so they're a popular thing. After an hour or so of being there, the fight started. Out walks 2 little boys all dressed up with their capes. I thought "how nice they're going to walk around and introduce the real bullfight." Wrong! An 11 year old boy WAS the matador! I couldn't believe it! The kid fought 2 bulls, and then 5 of us left because we just weren't having fun. He ended up fighting all of the bulls that day, which was 6 bulls, with a little help from a 9 year old.

We weren't expecting a kid to fight. He had the help of older matadors if he got in trouble, but it was still scary. Apparently there's some controversy here about allowing such young kids fight in such a dangerous sport. We certainly shared that sentiment!

Sunday was a bit more relaxing. Erin and I went to the Centro to enjoy Merida en Domingo, which means Merida on Sunday. They shut down several streets from traffic and set up all sorts of vendors and do authentic Mexican and Mayan dances. We strolled around and watched some dances while avoided vendors. Looking like an American has it's drawbacks since every vendor heads towards us and begins to harass us. Man I need to get tan! (Not like that will help...)

We enjoyed some wonderful ice cream on the Plaza Grande then caught a bus back. Then I fell asleep in my hammock, which is always nice!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've been having fun except for the bull fight.

    ReplyDelete